Mob. 62835-73987 , 62844-65948


Early Life

The responsibility of instructing and guiding the Sikh community was now of Guru Tegh Bahadur's. He was the focal point of veneration of the Sikhs. They came singly and in batches to seek spiritual solace and inspiration. And by his teachings and practise, he moulded their religious and social conscience. As had been the custom since Guru Har Gobind, Guru Tegh Bahadur kept a splendid lifestyle. He had his armed attendance and other marks of royalty. But he himself lived austerely.Sikh or other documents make no mention of any clash with the ruling power having occurred during his time.

Visit to Shri Harmandar Sahib

Soon after the public announcement by Makhan Shah, the Guru with a party of Sikhs travelled to Amritsar to pay obeisance at the Shri Harmandar Sahib. However on his arrival at this sacred shrine, the Guru was rebuffed by the Sodhi family Sardars who then had control of the Gurdwara and he was not allowed to enter the main section of the complex but went as far as the Thara Sahib,see structure of Shri Harmandar Sahib.

The party found that the doors of this premier Sikh shrine were suddenly shut and they were refused admittance. The reason for this action was that the greedy "masands" (bishops) of Amritsar had acknowledged Guru Arjan Dev ji's elder brother Prithi Chand to be their guru. It was under the instructions of Harji, the impostor (Mina) guru of that time, that the doors of the Golden Temple were closed to Guru Tegh Bahadur ji.

The Guru waited nearby for a little while. This place is now known as "Thara Sahib" - the Pillar of Patience. But when the doors were not opened, Guru ji went away and stayed in a nearby village of Wala in the humble dwelling of a peasant couple. Later, the women of Amritsar came out and repented for the shameful behaviour of the masands of Amritsar. Highly pleased at the sincere devotion and courage of the women of Amritsar, Guru Tegh Bahadur ji said, "Ever blessed by God be the women of Amritsar."

Mission Starts in Punjab

The Guru made three successive visits to Kiratpur. On 21 August 1664, Guru Tegh Bahadur went there to console with Bibi Rup Kaur upon the passing away of her father, Guru Har Rai, and of her brother, Guru Har Krishan. The second visit was on 15 October 1664,at the death on 29 September 1664, of Mata Bassi, mother of Guru Har Rai. A third visit concluded a fairly extensive journey
through Majha, Malwa region in Punjab and Bangar districts of the Punjab. Crossing the Beas] and Sutlej] rivers, Guru Tegh Bahadur arrived in the Malwa. He visited Zira, and Moga and reached Darauli. He then sojourned in the Lakhi Jungle, a desolate and sandy tract comprising mainly present-day districts of Bhatinda and Faridkot. According to the Guru kian Sakhian, Baisakhi of 1665 was celebrated at Sabo-ki Talwandi, now known as Damdama Sahib. This journey took Guru Tegh Bahadur up to Dhamdhan, near Jind, from where he returned to Kiratpur. The Dowager Rani Champa of Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh offered to give the Guru a piece of land in her state.

The Guru bought the site (which was about six miles away from Kiratpur Sahib) on payment of Rs 500. The land consisted of the villages of Lodhipur, Mianpur and Sahota. Here on the mound of Makhowal, Guru Tegh Bahadur ordained that a city be constructed. The original name of the city was Chakk Nanaki. However, later he would rename the city Anandpur - the City of Bliss and this was where the Khalsa was born. However, the Guru did not stay at Anandpur or Kiratpur for long; he left most of its construction to be done during his absence.

Mission to the East

Soon after, during about late 1665 and 1666, the Guru undertook travels to the region east of Punjab and to Easter India to different parts of this region to preach the teachings of Guru Nanak. His places of visit included Uttar Pardesh, Bihar, Assam, Bengal and present-day Bangladesh. One reason for Guru Tegh Bahadur ji's travels to the East was his wish to visit and pay homage to
various places that were associated with the previous visit by Guru Nanak Ji.
These visits to places where core Sikh sangats (communities) existed created confidence and infuse renewed enthusiasm in the people; gave them moral and spiritual courage and a better and deeper understanding of Guru Nanak mission. Leaving Anandpur,the Ninth Guru blessing various villages and towns, reached Kurukshetra. An eclipse of the Sun was due and there was a fair and a large gathering. The Guru took advantage of the occasion and went there. The Brahmans and some other people suggested to the Guru that he should bathe in the sacred tank and thus be purified.
The Guru smiled and said, "My friends, one cannot be purified simply by washing one's body since the polluted mind cannot be washed with water. It is only the True Name of Almighty God that can wash away all sins and emancipate the soul." By these
means, the Guru imparted the message of Guru Nanak and dispelled superstition and empty ritualistic behaviour.

Birth of Gobind Rai

During 1666 the Guru was travelling east of Patna to the regions of Bihar, Assam and present-day Bangladesh after leaving his wife, family members and Sikh sangat at Patna, Bihar.
At this time Mata Gujri was expecting a baby as so found it difficult to travel. Thirty four years had passed since her marriage to the Guru Tegh Bahadur. Three hours before the dawning of day, in the winter of her forty second year, on Friday, January 5, 1666, Mata Gujri ji became the mother of a prince. Marvelling at the majestic bearing of one so small, Mata Nankee delivered her newborn grandson proudly to his mother's outstretched arms. At his post outside the room, Kirpal Chand heard the infant take his first breath and immediately, he turned to dispatch the courier who stood by awaiting the signal to seek out the Guru and deliver the news of his son's birth. Thus Gobind Rai was born in the city of Patna in Bihar, East India.

Return to the Punjab

Returning to Patna in 1670, the Guru directed his family to return to the Punjab. On the site of the house at Patna in which Gobind Rai was born and where he spent his early childhood now stands a sacred shrine, Sri Patna Sahib Gurdwara, Bihar.
Gobind Rai was escorted to Anandpur (then known as Chakk Nanaki) on the foothills of the Sivaliks where he reached in March 1672 and where his early education included reading and writing of Punjabi, Braj, Sanskrit and Persian. He was barely nine years of age when a sudden turn came in his life as well as in the life of the community he was destined to lead.

Oppression by the Mughals

But soon oppression and intolerance would again rear its ugly head. The Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb ordered Hindu temples to be destroyed and that idol worship was to be stopped. He had a temple converted into a Mosque and slaughtered a cow inside it. He also had Hindus sacked from their government jobs and employed Muslims instead. Aurangzeb also ordered Gurdwaras to be destroyed, and he expelled many missionaries from the main cities. Despite some resistance after many years of persecution,
people were being forced to take up Islam.

Kashmiri Pandits Visit to Guru Ji To Get Help

Aurangzeb, being clever, decided if he could convert the revered Brahmin Pandits of Kashmir, then millions of their followers would also convert to Islam. Threatened with conversion or death, the Pandits overcome by panic, came in a delegation to Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji to ask for help at Chakk Nanaki, Pargana Kahlur (from a contemporary entry in the Bhat Vahi (diary) of the purohit of Talauda in Jind Pargana).

Hearing the serious nature of the conversation, Guru Ji’s 9 year old son Gobind Rai Ji asked his father what the problem was. The Guru told his son of the Pandits dilemma and said that it would take a holy man literally laying down his life to intercede, but the question is who would be such a man? Gobind Rai responded “Who would be better than you to defend the poor Brahmins?”. Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji smiled and decided to stand up for the right of freedom of worship and told the delegation to tell Aurangzeb that if he could convert Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji, they would gladly convert to Islam too. And, then the cruel Aurangzeb tried his all to convert Guruji to Islam, but to no vain. He tortured Guruji to death. The Guruji thus sent a strong message of religious freedom and is rightly called 'Hind di Chaadar'(Protector of Hindus).

Guru tegh Bahadur then left Anandpur for Delhi with 3 other Sikhs who knew as well the danger they were to face, Bhai Sati Das, Bhai Mati Das and Bhai Dayal Das.

Journey to Martyrdom

It seems orders for his arrest had been issued by emperor Aurangzeb as soon as he received reports of his declared intention,SHRI GURU TEGH BAHADUR SAHIB JI along with his followers Bhai Mati Das ji, Bhai Sati Das ji Bhai Dyala Ji, Bhai Gurditta Ji, Bhai Udo ji, and Bhai Jaita ji started journey from SHRI ANANDPUR SAHIB. Stopping at Saifabad (Patiala), Cheeka, Jind, Rohtak, Janipur GURU SAHIB reached here at Agra. GURU SAHIB stopped outside Agra city at this place (GURUDWARA SHRI MANJI SAHIB, situated on the left side of GURUDWARA GURU KA TAAL in the same campus). As history reveals there was a grazer by the name of Hasan Ali who used to bring the goats here for grazing. He always used to pray to God that the savior of Hindus will get arrested one day and he should be the one responsible for his (GURU TEGH BAHADUR SAHIB’S) arrest and get paid a bounty of Rs.500 in the process. Guru Sahib beckoned Hasan Ali to fetch sweets from the market as He was hungry. Guru Sahib gave him His precious ring to sell in market and bring some sweets and food from that money. Guru Sahib also gave him a Shawl to carry the sweets and food. Hasan Ali went to the confectioner and gave the ring to the shopkeeper, in exchange for the sweets. Seeing such expensive things the shopkeeper became suspicious that how can a grazer have such things, maybe he must have stolen it and reported it to the Kotwali (Police Station). The Police arrested Hasan Ali who took them to Guru Sahib. The Police then asked who Guru Sahib was and in turn the reply came “The savior of Hindus Tegh Bahadur is my name”. On hearing this Police arrested Guru Sahib along with the other Sikhs. Guru Sahib was kept blind-folded for 9 days in Bhora Sahib (below the main Darbar Sahib). Hasan Ali was in turn given the bounty of 500 rupees. From here Guru Sahib and the other Sikhs were taken under high security to Delhi.